New Term – New Customers. Starting a new term feels full of promise. Ben Willmott at Teleopti considers how contact centers can match service to today’s new young consumers – tomorrow’s big spenders
Young people today make up the fastest-growing and most influential group of consumers and it’s high time we took notice of them and really listened to what they want in terms of customer service. Patience is not their virtue – they don’t like waiting and hate wasting their time. The days of “if we respond within 24 hours, we’re doing an amazing job” is history.
The truth is, the younger generation wants it all: speed, friendliness, one interaction and transparency. Remember: this is the generation that has been brought up on a diet of technology, they know nothing else. Extremely tech-savvy and surrounded by 24/7 connectivity, they expect the same from the companies they buy from.
What is more, if they don’t receive good customer service, they are not shy about airing their grievances on social media, their complaints spreading virally in a flash with the power to damage corporate reputations and sales.
Get it right, however, and you can expect a highly interactive, positive relationship from a fiercely loyal customer base. Here are three top tips to get you started. They focus on making the most of the latest Workforce Management (WFM) technology to win the hearts and minds of today’s consumers:
- Invest in self-service – a booming e-commerce sector and the desire to purchase at any time of day have driven the need for self-service solutions. The introduction of self-service technology means your business is open all hours, every day of the year, without the expense of additional headcount.
In the same way, modern WFM solutions include self-service capabilities where agents can request time off, trade shifts, voice their preferences for overtime or pick up unallocated shifts from their handheld devices, wherever they maybe.
- Make mobility work for you – today’s consumers use the latest mobile devices to find information and ask questions and access social media to connect with their favourite brands. They expect 24-hour customer service and demand instant answers, whatever device they are using.
Make sure your customer service is fully optimised for mobility:
– with a fully responsive website
– by offering web chat
– by providing a choice of different contact options such as SMS, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and Twitter.
- Omnichannel is the new multichannel – email, Chat, social media, Skype, mobile? Most contact centers now operate a multichannel contact center and the consumer wants a consistent, satisfying and effortless experience, every time, whatever the device or communications channel. This is where omnichannel comes into its own – providing a seamless, integrated customer experience from beginning to end.
By tapping into the potential of WFM technology and adapting it to the needs of younger people, organisations everywhere can benefit from happy, loyal customers, increased sales, an enviable brand reputation and corporate efficiency. It’s a win, win situation.
Ben Willmott is a workforce management consultant at Teleopti UK
Teleopti, is a global provider of workforce management (WFM) software, offering a WFM solution that is sophisticated, localised and easy to use. As the largest “best-of-breed” vendor, Teleopti focuses on helping contact centres, back offices and retail stores improve customer service, employee satisfaction and profitability – through optimized, automated forecasting and scheduling.
Teleopti provides everything necessary to effectively manage staff, forecast demand, create schedules automatically, develop accurate and insightful reports and improve overall customer satisfaction.
Founded in 1992, Swedish-established Teleopti has customers in over 80 countries, numerous offices around the world – from Beijing to São Paolo – and a comprehensive global network of partners. With a record of continuous net profitability for over 20 years and with high customer satisfaction ratings, Teleopti serves as a reliable partner.
For more information, please visit www.teleopti.com or contact:
Mary Phillips/Andreina West,
PR Artistry Limited
T: +44 (0)1491 639500